Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Pumpkin Butter

A few weekends ago Alex and I went to the apple orchard with some girlfriends.  KL ended up buying some pumpkin butter, which we all dug into when we got back to my apartment.  It was what dreams are made of, so I decided to put some of my pumpkin puree stash into some homemade pumpkin butter.  Is it as good as the kind from the orchard?  Not really, but that pumpkin butter set my standards WAY HIGH!  I should have added more spices.  I ended up adding more than what the recipe called for, but I am still not satisfied.  Anyway, this a halved recipe is from Baked Bree.

Ingredients
2 cups of fresh pumpkin puree
1/2 cups maple syrup
1/4 cup apple juice
1Tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon *I added about 1/2 tsp
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg *I added about 1/3 tsp (do they even make them that size?)
1 pinch salt


Instructions
Dump everything into crockpot.  Cook on low for 3-4 hours.  Stick in the fridge to cool, eat with crackers.

KL eats hers with saltines, I've been using sunflower basil crackers from Back to Nature, which is almost as perfect as a combo.  In the future I'm probably going to add more of each spice, and probably include some cloves as well.  It also wouldn't hurt if I purchased a food processor so that my butter was more buttery and less stringy.

No comments:

Post a Comment